Friday, September 14, 2012

Risotto recipe as a follow up to the grains photo

Serves 4 (courtesy of AD and probably RH before her)


Ingredients
 
  • 3 C water
  • 1 C arborio rice
  • 4 tbsp butter (1/2 stick)
  • 1 chicken bouillon cube
  • 1/2-2/3 c grated Romano (or any salty cheese. I've used good, aged white cheddar as well as Parmesan)
  • salt to taste
  1.  Bring water to boil in medium saucepan and add butter, bouillon and rice. Cover and turn heat to low and simmer 20 minutes.
  2. Uncover and turn heat to med, stirring until rice is goopy but not wet, about 5 minutes. You must be stirring constantly. I find that I like a "wetter" risotto, so stir to whatever consistency you prefer.  As Wolfgang Puck says, a good risotto should spread on the plate when you shake the plate. 
  3. Add Romano and salt to taste and stir until combined. This is also where I add in the "fixings." I typically use a good quality mushroom, sauteed, but I've also used prosciutto (to die for).  My friends use squash as well.