Friday, December 13, 2013

A Retraction of Sorts

Last Friday, I posted and subsequently un-posted about working moms.  I had been wanting to write a post about working moms for a while, but I just couldn't find the words.  After writing and publishing last Friday, I realized that I still hadn't found the right words.  I wasn't ashamed of what I'd written, but I realized that it wasn't what I wanted to say.

My best, dearest friend, who is a SAHM, texted me regarding the post, and that's what made me think. We started talking back and forth and I realized something: SAHM, working mom, it doesn't matter.  We feel the need to defend what we do, be it working or staying home.  And as my conversation with her went on, I came to that conclusion.  There is no rank or betterness to one way or the other, yet because of the judgement and strong opinions of others, we always feel the need to defend what we do.  When I stayed home with D before going back to work, Sparky would come home and I'd give him a laundry list of what I did around the house that day.  He didn't ask, but I felt the need to PROVE that I had done something, defend my staying at home.

I realize that some of my defensiveness is part of my personality.  Because I constantly feel the need to be the best at everything and feel that everyone is looking to me to be the best, I get defensive when I feel that I may not be doing something exactly right.  I guess, in this case, the "not doing something exactly right" would be staying home with my son.  And who's "right" is that?  I'm not sure it's mine, or D's, or Sparky's.

Stirrup Queens wrote a post this week about everything being "too loud." I could not agree more.  While I love Pinterest and Instagram and Facebook, for women like me who want to be everything to everyone, they are belittling reminders of what I'm not.  I love my Christmas decor until I see what so-and-so made out of empty bottles and epsom salt.  I'm happy with my crockpot dinners until so-and-so reveals that she's eating clean and shopping only organic (with a picture at a farmer's market).  I think D's nursery/outfit/younameit is perfect until so-and-so's son is wearing a personalized Christmas outfit sewn by Coco Chanel herself.  You get the point.  It's not greed or jealousy that I feel, but a feeling that makes me want to crawl back into bed, yet I know that I shouldn't be in bed, I should be crafting a nativity out of popsicle sticks and cotton balls.   I thought that turning 30 meant I wouldn't care what people thought about me; turns out, turning 30 just means that now I care what people think about my son, too.  (if you know me in real life, you're not surprised that I don't let D wear the same thing to school, ever).  I'm not sure men feel this kind of pressure, at least I know Sparky doesn't. Is this just my personality, or do others feel this too?

How do we turn down the volume?

Being a mom--no matter what kind--is hard stuff. Like, the hardest thing I've done in my life.  We all have our little shoulder devils that whisper in our ears and tell us we're not good enough because of (fill in the blank...).  We all feel the need to justify or defend ourselves.  If we stopped looking to other people's "rights" and just found our own, maybe this shoulder devil would go away, or at least become a quiet whisper, not a roaring growl.


5 comments:

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I LOVE this. And here's food for thought: I actually think that people who state they don't care at all about what others think are also missing out on really paying close attention to the people around them: what THEY'RE doing, what THEY'RE thinking. Those people -- in shutting out the Joneses opinion -- also somewhat shut out the Joneses. It would be the rare person who was hyper connected to the people around them AND who wasn't influenced by their messages.

So, I think the key is balance. But I don't think it's always a bad thing to feel that external pressure (a bit). If it's controlling your life, it's problematic. But if it's nudging you to examine things or make decisions, then I think it's actually the benefit to being part of a community vs. living apart from community. If that makes any sense.

JB said...

Influence is a tricky thing, especially if we want to grow and better ourselves, I believe we have to have other people to do this.

For some reason I keep thinking about how best friends tend to start looking like each other...a weird thing, but definitely happens :)

Elizabeth :: Bébé Suisse said...

Ah sh*t ... and there I was with a grin on my face, thinking the retraction was about the November BFN.

I liked your discussions, both the unposted one, which I had read, and this one. Here's to all of us finding our own "rights," whatever they may be.

JB said...

I wish that was the case!! Not so much. Here's hoping for a better December. So nice to head from you!

JB said...

Hear not head.